Robb Flynn, Machine Head
PHOTO CREDIT: By kallerna (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
However, it hasn't gone unnoticed that the new A7X cribs quite a bit from 90's rock and metal, as Machine Head's Robb Flynn gleefully and playfully points out on Facebook:
Musician/Band · 926,566 Likes THE GENERAL JOURNALS: DIARY OF A FRONTMAN... AND OTHER RAMBLINGS
Congratulations to Avenged Sevenfold on their latest "covers album" coming in at #1, who knew that re-recording Metallica, Guns N Roses, and Megadeth songs could be such a worldwide hit!!?? Ba-dap Psssssss!!
I'm on fire!!
In case you've been living under a rock, Avenged came in at #1 in multiple countries throughout the world. I'm happy for them. Good band. And while I like the new record, and really dug the last record "Nightmare", hopefully we're all coming down from our post-orgasmic #1-album-bliss, because it's time to call a spade a spade!! It's time to poke a little fun at A7X, cause there's some blatant jackery goin' on there wiggas!!
So here are my top 10 jokes about the new Avenged Sevenfold record:
10) Avenged Sevenfold - "Now with even MORE Metallica"
9) Avenged Sevenfold to change name to "Sad But Two"
Number of "spurting penises" drawn on Avenged logos suddenly skyrockets
7) Eyeliner sales skyrocket as thousands of heartbroken goth girls realize "Hail To The King" is actually "that ugly AC/DC bands song 'Thunderstruck'"
6) After hearing "Heretic", Dave Mustaine flips out, blames Obama, Metallica and UFO's for the A7X stealing "Symphony Of Destruction".
5) After seeing how much success the band Bush had stealing other band names for song titles, A7X decided to steal "In Flames" for latest chorus. Future chorus lyrics include "Tr-vi-um" and "Kill-switch En-gage"
4) Upon hearing latest album, Lars Ulrich goes all gangsta, breaks bottle of Dom Perignon on M. Shadows head, while his 11ft girlfriend put Shadows in headlock, as he screams in Shadows face, "You're gonna rip off St. Anger next right, HUH? You're gonna rip off St Anger NEXT RIGHT? HUH, HUH, HUH!!"
3) "Black album" sales skyrocket as fans realise where new songs came from.
2) After hearing Avenged's Guns N Roses cover "Doing Time", Axl actually calls Slash, says, "Dude, What The Fuck?!"
1) And the #1 joke about the new Avenged Sevenfold album: Avenged Sevenfold release statement that they're NOT ripping off Metallica, announce side project with Lou Reed.
Subscribe to The General Journals: Diary Of A Frontman... And Other Ramblings
Visit The General Journals archive:
I'm sure Flynn is aware that music has been cribbing from earlier works since the first cro-mag banged a stick on a rock.
That new A7X is just a bit more obvious about it is all.
It could have been worse. They could have jumped on the dubstep train.
That would have been as bad as a metal band jumping on the rap//nu/metal bandwagon back in the late 90's, right?
*In addition to enjoying a good ball-busting, "Scary" Terry Stevens is a radio host for Midwest Communications. You can Book Face with him here.