On Air Now


Listen Live Now » 94.7 FM Central Wisconsin 102.9 FM Wausau, WI


Current Conditions(Wausau,WI 54403)

More Weather »
41° Feels Like: 38°
Wind: W 5 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip


Clear 40°


Mostly Sunny 67°

Tues Night

Clear 45°


Thomas street crash: Driver's funeral Wednesday, 4-year-old slowly healing


WAUSAU, WI (WSAU) -  A family is dealing with multiple tragedies after a Saturday car crash in Wausau. 24-year-old Michael Dixon died on the Thomas Street Bridge, and 4-year-old Jordan Dixon was flown to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Marshfield for emergency surgery.

Ralph Dixon is Michael’s father and Jordan’s grandfather. He has been with his grandson everyday since the Saturday crash.

He says Jordan is doing remarkable considering what he went through. “The thing that’s really remarkable is that his eyes are dilating well like they should be, his brain pressure as they’re monitoring it is all within normal limits. He responds to pain and things like that when they test him.”

Dixon says Jordan is not sedated, but sleeps almost constantly. He seems to be responding to some stimulation. “Just talking normal in the room, it was very special to me when I was letting go of his hand, he kind of squeezed and held onto my hand tighter.”

Jordan was in a car seat during the crash, but the severity of the impact caused very serious injuries to the child. “He had some, I think, occipital lobe fractures, a fracture to his collar bone, a broken rib, and a partially deflated lung.” Dixon confirms that Jordan had emergency brain surgery Saturday which lasted about four hours.

As for the driver, 24-year-old Michael Dixon of Rothschild, his funeral is this evening at Highland Community Church in Wausau starting at 6:00 p.m. “It is our intent to really just be open and straightforward about all of the details, and I think that anybody really interested, we invite them to come to that. I think that the funeral, even as tragic as it is, is going to be a blessing.”

Dixon was told the speedometer of the Toyota Camry was stuck on 80 miles per hour in the crash, but it’s unknown how fast the car was actually traveling. Wausau Police Department’s crash reconstruction team is analyzing the data including the car’s engine computer to try and learn how fast the car was actually going when it hit the Thomas Street bridge last Saturday.